About K’ómoks First Nation
We, the K’ómoks people, envision a prosperous and healthy Nation, in which we exercise our rights and title throughout our territory, honouring our people, lands, waters, cultures and languages. K’ómoks First Nation (KFN) ensures the well-being and self-sufficiency in all aspects of our Nation by asserting our rights and title while upholding our members.
About the Role
Under the direction of the Lands Manager, the Emergency Management Coordinator is responsible for coordinating Emergency Management and for the updating, review, and implementation of the K’omoks Emergency Response Plan; supporting Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) training and activations, and coordinating Disaster Risk Reduction related planning initiatives.
What you will be doing
During an emergency:
- Activate an emergency response plan and/or EOC: follow EOC guidelines; ensure EOC Director and mutual aid agencies have information and resources as required; arrange outside assistance as needed; maintain records of decisions and logs; support a sustained response and recovery process, and demobilization.
- Maintain the ability to respond in person to support with EOC activation.
- Support the Emergency Planning Committee with assessments of local and regional risks, evaluation of mitigation projects, and support evacuation planning.
- Provide appropriate administrative support, scheduling, records, and facilitation of Emergency Planning Committee meetings.
- Coordinate implementation of strategies identified by the Emergency Planning Committee such as hosting public awareness sessions, coordinating training and exercises, and testing EOC facilities and activation procedures – either independently or with partner agencies.
- Oversee contractors selected by Emergency Planning Committee, such as specialists to provide training, exercises, or planning supports.
- Developing and delivering approved presentations to groups, committees, and associations.
- Report on the annual budget, based on input from the Emergency Planning Committee.
- Regularly review and update Emergency Response Plan, operational guidelines, and associated documents.
- Coordinate the purchase and tracking of all EOC equipment, materials, and supplies, as approved by Emergency Planning Committee.
- Maintain relationships with the regional emergency social sector, including service providers and volunteer-based programs (e.g. CVESS, CVERCT).
- Research, apply for, acquire alternative funding and report on regional and individual funding and grant opportunities.
- Additional duties as required.
What you will need
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in emergency preparedness, health & safety, or similar response activities.
- Preference for University degree, certification in emergency planning & response, or equivalent work experience.
- Preference for Emergency Management and EOC experience or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience in building, developing, and maintaining successful relationships with public/private organizations and partnerships.
- Knowledge of local government operations, geography, and community services.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and proficient use of electronics and computer programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email).
- Knowledge of Provincial legislation, policy, standards, and practices related to Emergency Management and Fire Services is preferred.
- Experience working with First Nation communities and service organizations preferred.
- This will be a full-time, permanent, hybrid position that will have you work from home, from the Comox Valley Regional District office, and from the K’ómoks First Nation admin office.
If this opportunity to work with a growing indigenous organization appeals to you, please apply with your resume and cover letter.
This posting will remain open until filled.
We value employment equity and prioritize applications from indigenous applicants, and especially encourage those living within the K’omoks First Nation to apply. If you have any questions about the job posting or the process, please reach out to email@example.com
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $30.00-$40.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Courtenay, BC V9N 3P8