Type: Full Time
Location: Prince George, BC
Date posted: May 2, 2021
Closing date: May 22, 2021
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director, Health Emergency Management BC (HEMBC) is the central contact for a designated portfolio for HEMBC, servicing the Provincial Health Services Authority, Fraser Health Authority, Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, Vancouver Island Health Authority, Providence Health Care, Northern Health and Interior Health. The Director, oversees the planning, policy development/application, coordination and management of assigned HEM components including the implementation and evaluation of related physical, financial and human resources for an assigned HEM portfolio. The Director provides strategic leadership and guidance to the executives, senior management, boards of directors and staff including provincial, municipal and non-government agencies on emergency management. This leader is responsible for the vision and ongoing development of identified HEM programs by developing new initiatives and leading HEMBC towards a culture of emergency preparedness through effective communication of the strategic priorities and implementation of consistent policies.
What you’ll do
- Develop the strategic operational plans for a designated portfolio for HEMBC including the short and long term goals, objectives, policies, procedures and standards to support HEMBC’s goals and vision; work with staff to identify, develop, implement, evaluate and revise HEM strategies, policies and procedures with local, municipal and provincial government plans to ensure consistent operational plans and objectives.
- Provide leadership in the management of HEMBC and collaborate with leaders by identifying safe applicable service delivery models and processes to ensure emergency management programs are integrated and focused on those who utilize the services, including the monitoring of HEM performance
- Develop planning and training programs in response to events such as natural disasters, riots/protests, mass casualties, hazardous substances, bomb threats, missing patients and infant/child abductions.
- Lead the development, implementation, evaluation and revision of HEM programs to ensure the establishment of core activities and resources
- Lead the implementation of emergency preparedness exercises to ensure an adequate state of readiness and to identify potential impact to operations
- Monitor related programs, services and outcomes in terms of the performance plans, Ministry of Health (MoH) Performance Agreement targets and service benchmarks.
- Provide leadership and oversight in the planning and day-to-day operations for the designated portfolio to drive operational excellence and ensure consistency with the strategic plan
- Establish priorities, policies, procedures and budgets by formulating and recommending annual goals and objectives to ensure consistency with industry standards and accreditation bodies.
- Provide consultation and work with external providers to develop and negotiate contracts for various defined services including the management and enforcement of service level agreements; implement corrective action, as required to ensure service agreements meet with performance expectations, contract and other legal obligations.
- Ensure the coordination of HEM functions with key internal stakeholders on emergency planning initiatives; identify potential areas of integration and develop an emergency response capacity that can be integrated and shared with the various stakeholders
- Work with the Facilities Planning group to support HEM planning requirements in new construction and major renovations; ensure customer service and front line customer engagement by promoting and facilitating excellence in communication, consistent with best practices in customer service and business operations
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Master’s degree in Emergency Management or related discipline plus additional specialized training in Emergency Management, supplemented with ten (10) years’ recent related progressively senior emergency management experience in a large, complex multi-site organization, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of a wide range of emergency response, and business continuity procedures, guidelines and standards.
- Advanced working knowledge of disaster medical recovery principles, processes, systems and resource requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of operations and maintenance of complex communication systems
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills, including the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to develop and deliver emergency training exercises, simulations, education programs and/or workshops to large audiences
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
- Demonstrated leadership skills with proven ability to bring about change in a proactive manner
What we provide
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Location: Prince George, BC
Status: Regular Full-time
Closing date: Until filled.
Reference number: #107604E
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.